Center for Plastic Recycling Research and Innovation Comes to University at Buffalo
BUFFALO, NY (WKBW) – A new plastic recycling research and innovation center is coming to the University at Buffalo.
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Basil Seggos announced Wednesday that $4.5 million is being awarded to UB for the center that will support work to reduce waste and improve recycling.
“Reducing plastics and other waste is key to creating a cleaner environment and meeting the goals of New York’s ambitious Climate Act. This state-funded investment will enable one of New York’s leading research universities, along with its team of faculty and students, to deliver creative solutions to bolster the state’s globally recognized authority on research and innovation on plastics recycling. »
– Commissioner Seggos
The DEC said the center will expand on an existing state-funded university partnership with UB.
“The University at Buffalo is committed to addressing regional and global environmental challenges through multidisciplinary scholarship and innovation. Working with partners such as the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, we will advance the science and technology of plastic recycling while increasing our impact in promoting a healthier environment. and fairer in New York State and beyond.
– Kemper Lewis, Dean of the School of Engineering and Applied Science
A multidisciplinary team will lead the work of the center and will focus on several tasks:
- Map the reverse plastic supply in New York State and dive into the structure of the collection, disposal and recycling industries;
- Improve the efficiency of companies involved in the collection and processing of plastics in New York State;
- Plastics in natural environments, including microplastics;
- Plastics in the New York State Agricultural/Food and Medical Industries;
- Better understand contemporary attitudes towards current recycling behaviors; and
- Advanced high-speed plastic sorting by molecular contract infrared imaging; and
- Fund several university and community projects.